Millions of people all over the world use Facebook as their primary source of social media. If you are like one among the millions, you probably use Facebook to connect with friends and family and share your photos and personal details to them. However, there are very few people who know how to keep your Facebook account secure. As you log in to Facebook every single day, there are chances that you will leave the account unlocked. This is an invitation to many strangers out there, who might be able to view your classified information, read your messages and in the worst case, use your Facebook account to connect with others. This might open up a large can of worms, and it is highly recommended that you keep your Facebook account secure.
So, how to keep your Facebook account secure? How can you prevent strangers to access your intimate details? How can you ensure the end of unwanted access to your account? There are a huge number of ways to keep your Facebook account secure. Read on to find out.
Best ways to Facebook account secure
- Creating a strong password
Creating a strong password is the first and foremost way to keep your Facebook account secure. You already have a password for your account. But is it strong enough? Ask yourself the question and if your answer is NO, then work towards creating one.
A password should be unique, unguessable and strong. Your Facebook passwords should be different from that of your other accounts (Gmail, blogs etc.). The best password must have a strong combination of small letters, capital letters, symbols, and numbers.
To change your password:
- Go to Account Settings >> General >> Password
- Set a strong Password and click Save.
- Confirm your mobile number
Confirming your mobile number is another great way to keep your Facebook account secure, it enhances your account security greatly. If you forget or lose your password, you can simply log in to your account using the mobile number, via a confirmation code on the SMS.
To add your mobile number:
- Go to Account Settings >> Mobile.
- Click on Add a Phone.
- Select the country and set the mobile carrier.
- Click Next.
- You will now be instructed to send an SMS to the number. Follow the instructions to get a code via SMS.
- Enter the code into the field mentioned.
- You can also Share Your number with friends on Facebook.
- Another option is to Allow Friends to text me from Facebook.
- Select your required preferences and then click Next.
Your mobile number will now be registered on Facebook. When you need, the connection with the mobile phone will be suitable to reactivate the Facebook account.
- Avoid Spam Links
Facebook has always been serious about spam and has always been motivated to enhance its features. You should also make sure that you are safe from being victimized by the scam. Money scams through direct or indirect requests via Facebook messages and chat are becoming increasingly popular every passing day. Phishing links that redirect you to fake websites, and malicious links that can retrieve your personal information, should be avoided at all costs. You might also receive emails from “Facebook” which might actually be from a phishing website. Be wary of such scams and prevention should always be prioritized better than cure. The many ways you can avoid being a victim are:
- Go with your gut feeling and never click on any suspicious links. When receiving a link, always make sure to ask if your friend has sent it. If these links have been sent without the sender’s knowledge, they are most certainly scams.
- Never reveal your username or password to anyone. You should not enter the password or username to suspicious links. Doing so will jeopardize the security of your Facebook account.
- Login through Facebook.com and not through another link or website.
- Update your browser to the latest version. This will help you get alerted with suspicious phishing sites.
Check also: Five Things You Should Never Do on Facebook
- Private browsing is the way to security
Preventing another person from accessing your account can also be done by activating private browsing option. Doing so will not log your activity to the browsing history, and after you cancel all the tabs, no one will be able to access what you had been browsing earlier.
If you are using Safari:
- Go to Safari >> Private Browsing.
If you are using Firefox:
- Go to Tools >> Start Private Browsing.
If you are using Chrome:
- Go to File >> New Incognito Window
- Do not enable “Keep Me Logged In” option
In the login page of Facebook, these are a small check box entitled Keep me logged in. you should make sure that this box is unchecked. You will be then asked for an email and password every time you log into Facebook.
- Disconnect previous Active Sessions
This is another perfect way to keep your Facebook account secure. Facebook lets you know about all of your previous active sessions. The information of where you log in from, and what devices you have used to access the Facebook account, are all included in Facebook. To make sure that your account is safe and your previous sessions have been disconnected:
- Go to Account Settings >> Security Page.
- Look for Active Sessions and click on Edit.
- All the previous sessions will now be listed. The current active session will be listed at the top. Click on the link entitled “End Activity”. This will kill the activities from other devices.
Don’t miss: How to use Facebook faster in slow Internet
- Activating “Login Approvals”
Activating Login approvals is another way to keep your Facebook account secure. It is an extended security feature that has been offered by Facebook. This will require you to enter a security code every time you try to access your Facebook account from an unrecognized device. To activate Login Approvals:
- Click Account Settings >> Security.
- Look out for Login Approvals.
- Click on Edit.
- An option to activate Login Approvals will pop up.
- Tick on the check box to activate.
- Now, a pop-up window will appear with the descriptions of login approvals. Click on the Set Up Now button to continue.
- If you have already registered your mobile number, Facebook will send you a code via SMS. Enter the code and click on Submit Code.
- Click on Next to continue.
- Facebook will now offer the setup of a Code Generator from a mobile phone. If you are unable to receive an SMS, this option will be of use. Click on Continue.
- Activate Secure browsing
This is another way to keep your Facebook account secure. Turn on the Secure Browsing option to do so, doing this will limit all external applications integrated with Facebook, from doing any harm to your personal information. To activate secure browsing:
- Click on the drop down menu from the top right corner of your Facebook account.
- Select Security from the left menu.
- Click on the Secure Browsing section and then on the Edit link situated to the right.
- Check the box entitled Browse Facebook on a secure connection.
- Click on Save Changes button.
Don’t miss: Who unfriended me on Facebook?
- Sign out after use
Last but the most important thing to keep your Facebook account secure is to Sing Out after use. Never forget to do so. Click on the down icon to the upper right section of Facebook, and click on Log Out. This will prevent any one from accessing your Facebook account unless they have your password.