How to trace IP address? There might be situations where you would need to trace IP address of a persona and determine the location that a message or an email is being sent from. if so is the case, there is no need to worry. Tracing an IP address is a fairly simple deal. Just read how exactly to trace IP address in the steps mentioned below and you are good to go.
Best ways to trace IP Address:
How to track a website IP Address
To track a website IP address, follow the below-mentioned steps:
a) Open the command console
The command console is called a Terminal on Mac. For Mac;
- Open the Utilities folder
- Click on Terminal
For a PC;
- Click on Start
- Click on All Programs
- Click on Accessories
- Click on command prompt
- Ping the address
Pinging actually sends out a single to an URL and the website information will be attached and bounced back to the console.
- Type ping, space, and the URL name. For example ping www.facebook.com
- Press on return/enter
The IP address will appear beside the website name and the information about the seconds or milliseconds the ping took, will also be provided.
- The IP address format is numeric. Four numbers separated bu periods denotes the IP address. For example, the IP address of Facebook is 18.104.22.168.
Check also: How to Track a Person? Follow best ways
2. How to trace an email IP address
To track the email IP address, follow the below-mentioned steps:
a) Open the email client
The message headers of the email can be investigated to trace the IP address of an email. The headers are the stuff that looks like a keyboard exploded.
b) The show headers option
Open the email and click on the View menu. Select the option that lets you view all the headers.
- For a Mac, click on View, Click on Message and then click on All Headers.
- On a PC, click on Options, click on the dialogue box launcher, click on Message Options dialogue box and navigate to Internet Headers.
- Beside the Received section, you can see something that resembles “from..” the later portion of the message contains an IP address. Copy one of the IP from the list.
c) Open the command console
As described above, open the Terminal on Mac, or console on PC.
- Type whois, followed by the IP address.
- For example, a type who is 22.214.171.124.
- Press Enter
- The registration information for that IP address will be returned to you.
- In the above-mentioned IP address, the pinging information should return that the message was sent through Facebook.
d) Alternative lookup
You can also use the internet to look up the IP address. Simply use IP-lookup to look up the information.
3. Geographic location of IP Address
Using the methods stated above, obtain the IP number that you wish to check.
a) Find out and open a website that allows you to look up an IP information
Google “IP Geolocation” or “IP Lookup” and you will be presented with a huge number of websites that offer this service for free.
b) What cannot be known by tracing an IP address
These details can be found out by looking up and tracing an IP address.
- The ISP (Internet Service Provider) that the user is using.
- The approximate geographical location of the user.
These details cannot be found out by looking up and tracing an IP address.
- The actual name of the person using the IP address.
Check also: Friend Locator: Phone Tracker Mobile App
To trace an IP address using Traceroute, follow the steps mentioned below.
a) Open a command console
Use the methods detailed above to open the Terminal in Mac and command console on a PC. On a PC;
- Enter tracer <IP address>
On a Linux and Macintosh OS X;
- Open a shell and use the command traceroute <IP address>
The information about the IP and the time required as well as the route that was taken are detailed after you hit enter.